Console Table In Cherry And Curly Maple
I came across Seth Rolland's work several years ago, and I thought it was outstanding. He has a very innovative and creative style. I've wanted to experiment with some of the techniques that he uses ever since. It took me a while to finally do it, and here is the result.
The finished table.
I started drawing this out on SketchUp, so I could get an idea of the angles and lengths. These are notes from those drawings.
I had first intended to make this a small side table. The first one I made out of scrap sapele, was too thin and 'flexy''. I made another one out of scrap cherry that was a little thicker. However, when I got it put together, I found out that with only one base like this, the table isn't stable. If you were to put a coffee cup on the wrong corner, it would fall over, which isn't a very good attribute for any table.
So, I decided to make a console table with two of the leg assemblies. I started with 6/4 cherry.
I milled it down to 1 1/4" square. I also milled extra for the 'feet' that will get further planed down. The marks on the ends help me keep straight which side should be going through the planer. I always make a few extra pieces to give myself some set up blocks to have for test cuts to get the cuts aligned well.
I made a line 1 1/4" from both ends, on all four sides
On the band saw, I cut down the center, stopping at the line. Then I backed the saw out of the cut. I turned the blank end over end and 90°, and repeated that process.
Next I set the saw to make the next two cuts, giving me four flaps (or whatever you would call them). I did the same rotation as before.
To clean up the cuts, there wasn't room to use a card scraper in the normal fashion. I used some PSA sand paper stuck to a card scraper to get between the layers. This was a bit of a pain.
Next comes the feet. I tilted the blade and used a two spacer set up to get them in the right position.
I cleaned up the slots by hand.
Cutting the half lap.
I glued the feet up first
Then I glued one 'fan' at a time into the feet. You had to be careful when spreading them. I did break one, but it glued back together cleanly.
After the glue dried I did a little touch up on the legs, and broke the edges all the way around. Then It got a couple of coats of a Danish oil blend.
I used curly maple for the top.
When I plane woods with difficult grain, I often will wipe the board down with some paint thinner/mineral spirits first. Just getting it damp, seems to help avoid a lot of tear out.
A close up of one of the legs.