Show off Your Handcrafted Projects. It's Free! Start Sharing

Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple

author-gravatar millerwoodcraft Jul 17, 2019

This is my first ever solid wood cabinet, made from cherry and curly maple with integral joinery and dovetail construction for the case. #woodworking #cherry #curlymaple #cabinet


Photo of Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple
Photo of Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple
Photo of Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple
Photo of Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple
Photo of Dovetail wall cabinet in cherry and curly maple

6 comments

Beautiful cabinet! I didn't know you had a YouTube channel, can't wait to watch the video later. Thanks for sharing here on SimpleCove!

Thanks Sean, this is my first cabinet. Only been on youtube a few months, Figured if I were documenting my builds with photos I might as well hit the record button. Its really surprising how tough it is to edit down build footage into a watchable video... I feel like I get way too much footage of my planer

@Sean  said:

Beautiful cabinet! I didn't know you had a YouTube channel, can't wait to watch the video later. Thanks for sharing here on SimpleCove!

Wow what a great idea for making the handles! I wish I had your faith in the bandsaw seems like it is the new table saw. 

Thank you, the handle was an after thought.

@WoodGate  said:

Wow what a great idea for making the handles! I wish I had your faith in the bandsaw seems like it is the new table saw. 

What a beauty. I love the subtle contrast with the Maple and Cherry, and the curly door panel is terrific.

Blue tape is also very helpful when marking out your pins, put tape on the end grain and then use your knife to mark the pins. When you peel the tape off of the waste sections the lines will be much easier to see than just knife marks.

Thank you Timmy. I had actually used the blue tape method for the first corner. It got more in the way, and caused me to cut a bit too shallow, and ended up spending a lot of time re-marking and clearing out a hairline of waste after that I was over the blue tape on this one lol. I will be trying it on the end grain, seems like it may be more useful than getting the right cutting depth. This is my first DT build, I'm getting the hang of it slowly. 

Cheers

@Timmy2Hands  said:

What a beauty. I love the subtle contrast with the Maple and Cherry, and the curly door panel is terrific.

Blue tape is also very helpful when marking out your pins, put tape on the end grain and then use your knife to mark the pins. When you peel the tape off of the waste sections the lines will be much easier to see than just knife marks.

You need to be signed in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join now

5