Catherine's walnut dresser
- 46" high, 35" wide and 17" deep, five drawer solid walnut dresser.
- Frame and (floating) panel construction
- Legs 1 5/8" thick, milled from 8/4 stock.
- Mortise and tenon for legs, rails (and stile in the back)
- 1/2" baltic birch plywood beneath the top and below the bottom drawer to help square up the frame and increase stability.
- Drawers are staggered in height from 6.5" through 8.5", each 30" wide. Poplar boxes with pre-finished birch bottoms (5 mm).
- Dovetail drawers at each corner, grass soft close undermount drawer slides.
- Washcoat of shellac and three coats of gel varnish
Some of the IG posts of the build are available at https://www.instagram.com/p/BzESBUUAMVA/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet, https://www.instagram.com/p/Bws_tJkAdKT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link, https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw55YRKFk2T/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Soft curve on the bottom apron; thinned out each leg at the bottom.
Cove at the bottom of dresser top to thin things a bit. Chamfer along the outside edge of each leg.
Drawer heights start at 6.5" and go to 8.5" (top to bottom). Drawers are have a gap of 1/16 on all four sides.
Poplar drawer sides. table saw dovetails; see https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx_ZLxHgj-Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLbZV3AIm2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Poplar drawer sides; table saw dovetails; see https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx_ZLxHgj-Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLbZV3AIm2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Beautiful dresser, Rich! I love the dovetails and the soft close slides are a nice touch! That walnut is stunning as well.
Thank you for sharing here on SimpleCove!
Thank you Sean and thank you for organizing a contest (a first for me).