Mid-Century Plant Stands for Christmas
Made a batch of four plant stands for Christmas presents. One each in maple, cherry, walnut, and white oak. All of them ended up with African mahogany tops. Gifts for the four most important women in my life: wife, mom, grandma, and sister.
#woodworking #christmas2019 #midcenturymodern
Finished first, this one lives in my entry way.
Final plans, after several sketches and iterations. Please ignore the coffee stains.
A cardboard mockup to make sure I liked the dimensions. Since I was making four at once, I wanted to be happy with the final!
Rough dimensioned lumber. From top to bottom it's maple, oak, cherry, and walnut.
My cross-cut sled wasn't wide enough for a 30" stop to make sure each leg was the same length. So added this janky extension!
Here's the setup I used to make sure each mortise was drilled in the exact same location.
32 mortises. Let me tell you how much I was tempted to buy a hollow-chisel mortiser.
Tenons were cut with a stop on the cross-cut sled.
Lots of pieces ready for glue. The four cross-bars got half-lap joints so they could sit flush.
Here's the glueup for each. I messed up and did the top half and bottom half of the maple separate, and then found I had no way to connect them!
I ended up having to cut it apart, and you'll see a walnut patch in the bottom of it from here on out.
All the steps for the tops: Cut sections to length, and joint two together for the full width. Made a template circle in plywood, and used a flush trim router bit to cut each top. Lots of sanding to prevent tear-out.
Finishing with three coats of arm-r-seal.
Completed stands. The tops are screwed in place with one screw right through the center of the top cross bar.
Group shot inside.
And here are the figured tops.
Cutting board tax made from the scraps.