Cherry and Walnut Dresser
This is the largest project I have ever done. Took right around 2 months start to finish. There are still a couple more cleanup things to do but not much.
The dresser is Cherry and Walnut. The top has drawboarded breadboard ends. All the drawers are half-blind dovetails on all corners using the Porter Cable jig. I used soft-shut drawer rail guides. Initially I was going to do traditional all wood drawer rails but really wanted to try out the rails. I am very pleased with them they are smooth as glass.
I did have one issue with the top center drawer. Somehow I made a glue-up or cutting error and the drawer is square on the right side and out of square on the left. The drawer works, but isn't even when it is closed. So I'll be making a new drawer box and swapping it out.
The ends are raised panels. In retrospect, if I had to do it again, I would have done Walnut panels.
The finish is Danish oil topped with 5 coats of satin polyurethane.
Future plans are a matching chest on chest, 2 night-tables, a headboard/footboard and a cedar-lined blanket chest.
#cherrydresser #dresser #chest #furniture
Yes, I used pocket screws. Sue me!
I used hardboard (Masonite) for between the drawers and 1/4" sanded plywood for the bottom dust shield.
Laying out breadboard edge guide lines.
Playing cards make great spacers!
This little template guide saves a LOT of time!