School Box Guild Build Popular Woodworking
The School Box build from Popular Woodworking. Made with pine.
A side view and front view. The milk paint was a bit uneven on the front. I guess I did not mix it well. I bought the chest handles from Amazon. The box is painted with Old Fashioned Milk Pain, Barn Red. I top coated it with shellac. Then waxed it. I'm not pleased with the color of the paint or the shellac top coat. I wish I would have oiled it instead. Oh well, I definitely will make this project again. My next one I will probably use the Salem red Old Fashioned Milk Paint color then top it with their Pitch Black color. Then I will BLO it. I do like the milk paint experience, and look forward to using it more.
Front view, with its blotchiness. It didn't show through until the top coat. By that time, it was too late. I usually like shellac, this time I didn't care for it. BLO would have been better with the paint.
Opened. I painted the bottom of the lid, and only waxed it. I will add a chain when I can find one. I decided it did not need a till because I'm giving it to the wife to store her yarn. The bare wood is covered in shellac as well.
The species is Big Box Pine. Very rare, very exotic.
I am using my Stanley FatMax sharp tooth saw. The little cardboard cover for the saw has a picture of a shark on the side. It is a wood eating machine that gives you a finished surface that looks like a shark chewed the wood apart. I'm cuting to rough dimension before I take it to the shooting board.
As you can see, I'm cutting around the knots.
After shooting the boards I marked off the dove tails and began cutting.
Test fitting. Not too bad.
three sides done.
Action shot of me cutting a little notch for my saw guide. Yes, I know. I need to wear shoes.
Redundant shot, yes, I need to wear shoes.
Nasty glue squeeze out. About this time I realized I wasn't using my hide glue. Doh.
I'm preparing the bottom. Using hide glue and a rub joint.
It is pretty cool to use hide glue. I glued and nailed the bottom on later using brads as described in the article. I don't have any cut nails. We shall see how long the bottom stays put.
I'm mortising the lock using my butt chisel and a small Veritas router plane.
I'm marking off the scribe line for the hinge mortise.
I slipped the lid on. to see how it fit. I cut all the trim with the block plane by using a marking wheel and planing to the line, then cutting the miters. They were all really tight. I was pleased with this step. We shall she how the cross grain on the top works out in the long run. It is tacked into place with clue and brad nails.
Here I am comparing the hinge mortises.
Barn Red Milk paint. First time using it. It went on okay. I actually think I ruined it by covering it with shellac. It was a hasty decision for which I regret. I also wish the barn red was a bit more red, rather than brownish/orange/red.
This picture shows the key hole I cut using my coping saw and a drill.
Here is the lock fit into place roughly. I had to recess the plate to flush it up with the top of the box. I also painted it with an oil rubbed bronze spray paint, which wasn't a great choice either, but I didn't like the brass. Its a cheap lock anyway.
Action shot of moulding being made.