Walnut Beer Caddy
I started this small project as a quick way to build a cool gift for my little sister. Her apartment has a rooftop gathering area and I thought it would be a nice gesture to make her a beer caddy so she and her boyfriend could easily take a few beers up to the patio and relax.
I really enjoy all of Maurice Blok's projects, and especially like his YouTube videos. I owe him a huge thanks for the design inspiration, and he's very cool and great with feedback as well. I reached out to him during the project to say thanks for the inspiration. It was sort of nice to just turn the brain off and just follow along with a build. I did make a few subtle changes to his design - if for no other reason than just to try something else. Here's a link to his bubinga beer caddy build:
I used rough black walnut for all of the wood, with .375"diameter brass rod stock infilled into the screw holes. I finished the walnut with 100% pure tung oil. Since I wasn't making a series or run of these like Maurice was, I bookmatched the two end sides of the caddy.
I hope you enjoy. I plan to make another one and not repeat the same mistakes I made the first time around.
I used a 2.75" diameter hole saw to cut the large holes in the plywood template. If I'm remembering right, they are 3.5" on-center.
Following along with Maurice's advice, I hogged out most of the wood in the holes using a Forstner bit before using a router to get the holes perfectly flush with the template and flat on the bottom.
I had previously purchased a section of brass rod stock off Amazon and here I was drilling the .375" holes for the screw holes.
This is a quick shot showing all of the parts assembled and glued. I hadn't yet infilled the screw holes yet, or done the final hand sanding and glue cleanup.
I learned the hard way I should have trimmed the brass rod quite a bit smaller than I thought. I left too much rod exposed and filing it down wasn't so much hard as it was exacting and tedious, because I didn't want to scratch up the wood too much. After getting it close enough, I sanded it down using 150 grit, then 180, 220, then finally 320 using Mirka Abranet discs.
Here are the final finished shots. The finish is 100% tung oil. I think the tung oil actually dulled the brass shine a bit, so I'll play around with polishing it back out, perhaps with some sort of French polish procedure.