Table For The Wife
I've been interested in woodworking for a number of years, and started to collect a good number of tools. My wife told me I should make her a big project, and after scoring a truck load of walnut on the cheap I decided a live edge table would be a perfect gift for her.
Here is the wood that will become my wife's table. Not all of this wood was used, but it was all black walnut that I picked up for roughly 1$/bf, so I couldn't leave any of it behind.
These are the two main slabs that will become the top. Time to let these dry and acclimate to my house.
All of the wood I bought was rough, and some of it was not as thick as I needed it. I forgot to take pictures of jointing and planing, but here is an example of gluing up some of the stock. Clamps.
Here is most of the stock glued up that will become the legs.
These scraps of plywood are my quick and dirty templates for the pieces I needed to reproduce consistently for the legs. I needed two of the template on the left and eight of the template on the right. After I had these made I just needed to trace the shape onto my stock, bandsaw close to the line, and then use a flush trim bit on the router to finish each piece.
Once I had the pieces to the legs all cut, I had to join them all together. I decided on homemade floating tenons for the splayed parts of the legs, and traditional mortise and tenons for the stretcher that connects them. To cut the mortises for these pieces, I made this guide for my router.
Gluing the splayed legs together was much more difficult than I anticipated, and I forgot to take pictures of it. I ended up building a wedged clamping jig to help with the process, but I don't have a picture of that either. This picture shows the mortise and tenon joint used to complete each set of legs.
Here the legs are glued up, and I am dry fitting the pieces that will join the legs together. I also couldn't help but wipe it down with mineral spirits to get an idea of what it would look like at this point.
Here is a close up of the mortise and tenon joints that connect the legs together. not perfect, but not bad either.
Adding some pieces that will allow me to bolt the top to base.
I love the wood I was able to use on this table. It has so many unique bits of grain like this.
Base glued up, and read y for finish.
I forgot to take pictures of the top being glued up. I was scrambling to get the joints tight without damaging the live edge, and I almost didn't get it done. Here I am starting to flatten the top with a power planer, and the belt broke on it. Didn't have a replacement at the time, so out comes the elbow grease.
Getting pretty close with the hand plane.
The top ready to be cut to length, and ready for finish. I did end up getting a new belt for the power planer which made flattening the bottom go much faster.
In it's place with life already cluttering the top.
I used a clear satin water based poly for the finish. I am very pleased with how this table turned out.
Thanks for reading!