I, knowing little about woodworking and nothing about skateboards, decided it was time to find a new way to humiliate myself. I wanted a longboard for cruising trails and aimless wandering. So I took some beautiful pieces of walnut scrap wood, at a total cost of $18 from a re-use store, glued 'em together, made 'em ugly, and screwed some trucks on.
The finished product! I sanded with 80-grit until most of my sins were removed, then 120-grit. I didn't bother going any finer than that, as I don't want to use grip-paper. The wood's naturally rough finish should (hopefully) provide enough friction for a board that's just meant for low-speed cruising. Two coats of poly-urethane and a final buffing with 0000 steel wool bring out the natural beauty I almost destroyed.
The beast's belly. The trucks, including wheels and bearings, were $40 on Amazon prime--even if they're a little sub-par (and I don't know enough about skateboards to judge one way or the other)--it's hard to argue with that price.
Pay no mind to the food-grade PVC tubing. Anyway, that's all. No videos of a grown-ass man busting his ass. I'm sure my wife will post one eventually.
UPDATE: Tried out my longboard. It rolls really well. I can also confirm I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, ow.
I grabbed some nice looking pieces of walnut from a local reuse place. They didn't have any single pieces of wood that were wide enough, so I opted to grab 3 and glue them together. For extra strength, I drilled holes in the sides and inserted dowels every six inches.
I suppose for aesthetics, you could do multiple boards on purpose, but if you do, use more clamps than I did. I didn't have any wide clamps so I went out and bought the cheapest, smallest clamps I could get away with using. My glue says wait 24 hours before doing anything else, so I waited 20 and hoped for the best.
A bit hard to tell from the head-on light, but this is post electric hand planer and pre belt sander. The wood is torn up all to hell and looks depressingly bad. I kept trying different tactics with the hand planer, all of them more or less equally bad. Best thing I did was turn the depth to very shallow so I wasn't quite making horrible, unfixable gouges with each pass. What I really need is a tabletop planer, but I do not have one of those. I was wondering at this point of I was wasting money and nice wood.
I didn't take any pictures during the sanding. Didn't want to get my camera covered in walnut dust. The sanding took it from crime-against-nice-wood to well-I-probably-SHOULD-finish-this-project.
Also not pictured is me free-handing the curves for the front and rear and then me struggling to get my jigsaw to cut through everything. I think I need a new blade. And to oil the motor. And new brushes. Take care of your tools, everyone. If there were a CPS for tools, I don't think I'd have any.
Attaching the trucks was straightforward. Drill 4 holes for each, tighten nuts. Don't put the trucks on backwards. Otherwise when you lean left you roll right. Not that I did that.
I realize this is a lot of steps lacking photos. I'm sorry. I suck at documenting stuff.