White Oak Farmhouse Table
This small farmhouse kitchen table that I built for my sister-in-law using White Oak and Poplar. While the table was small, this project maxed out
Some details on the final product:
- Dimension: 3' W x 5' L x 30" H
- White Oak and stained using Valspar's American Walnut with several top coats of General Finishes Arm-A-Seal
- The base was made with Popular and finished with General Finishes Black Milk Paint with a top coat of their Flat-Out-Flat
#whiteoak #poplar #farmhouse #table #trestle #mortiseandtenon #breadboard #halfblinddovetail
My sister-in-law's eating area is attached to her kitchen and could only accommodate a small table, so we decided on a 3' x 5' footprint for the top. The trestle base also helped in maximizing seating options for her, her 3 kids and neighborhood friends for when they come over. Plus, it fits the farmhouse style that she wanted.
To start the project, I modeled out the table in Sketchup. I wasn't 100% sure of the proportions and spacing that I would use, so it was extremely helpful to be able to visualize and easily tweak it until I was happy with everything.
Also, I decided to fully detail out all of the joints in the model. Normally, I'll figure out the exact placement and size of things when I get to that point in the build. But by doing it beforehand this time, I didn't have to "think" when I got that point while in the shop. I just had to trust my plans. It let be efficient with the limited time I have these days.
For the top of the table, I picked out #1 and #2 common White Oak. These boards had lots of character which made for interesting colors and grain detail. Since the base was going to be painted, I picked up some clean, 8/4 Popular.
Fast forward to the beginning, and end of the photos that I took of breaking down and milling the Oak. My shop is small, but this configuration lets me easily cut the boards to rough size, plane one face and an edge on the jointer and then send it through the planer. The tablesaw sits just a hair shorter than my jointer so it acts as an extended outfeed/safety net when milling long boards.
While beautiful to look at, the character of the Oak made it challenging at times to work with.
I screwed some 2x4's between my saw horses to make a structure large enough to support the glue up of the top. I ended up working off it for the rest of the build. Unfortunately, I could only place it in the middle of everything, which was a bit of a pain.
After the glue up and cutting the top to size, I used a router with a 1/2" bit and edge guide to cut the tenons into the ends for the breadboards. In hindsight, I should have extended the tenons closer to the sides. The amount of "un-joined" edge between the bread board and edge was a bit too much.
The Oak had a lot small knots, fractures and insect holes that I wanted to fill in since it was going to be eaten off of. The plastic syringes worked great in getting into all of those tight spots.
Next up was cutting the tenons and hogging out the mortises for the breadboards.
I should note, that I ended up blowing out the bottom side of two of these pins. I think my offset for the drawboard might have been too aggressive.
The joint was though...
After the top was done, I moved onto the base. I had to move things around a bit more with these pieces since they were much longer than the Oak. Everything in my shop is mobile, so it's easy enough to adapt to a different layout.
This Popular was great.
For the "corbels", I cut this