Board Game Box
I kick started a board game called Kingdom Death: Monster years ago, and then totally forgot about it. A few months ago a 17 pound box showed up at my door, with the game inside. The game is absolutely fantastic, but it comes with miniatures, and once they are assembled the box the game comes in no longer works.
I'm submitting this to the 2015 Year in review challenge. I'm not sure how well it fits, but I haven't had much time in the last couple of years to pursue a whole lot of woodworking or gaming as we had 2 kids. So finally getting some time out in the shop again, and some time to do some gaming again is pretty exciting!
Top box open
lid flipped with mini tray
showing contents of both boxes
Building this box from the inside out as I had some very specific measurements for the contents.
Bottom internal box. Used my Incra I-box for the box joints, love that thing!
top two internal boxes
Had some 1/4" QS oak ply laying around I used for the box bottoms
Now that I know my inside dimensions I start working on the outer box.
Gave the box some feet by cutting some 45's on the table saw, and then cleaning out the rest on the bandsaw.
Used the tape trick and it worked great.
slapped together a really crappy jig for cutting the splines
Some ebony for the splines, getting these little pieces to the precise width was harder than expected
Setting the dado stack height on my ghetto jig
Fitting all the splines.
put some Waterlox on the internal boxes while waiting for the splines to dry
flush cut the splines
I used General Finish's Rosewood gel stain. The game has a very dark theme, so I wanted to make something that might fit in that world. I'm not sure I succeeded, but once you start putting gel stain on something, you just have to keep going.
Size comparison for the original box it shipped in.
I intented to make the top box tall enough to fit the largest model
You can see a wing tip poking out. When I measured out where to cut the dado for the box bottom, I measured from the wrong side of the 1/4' material I was using.... oops
Tip for scraping/sanding/planing mitered pieces. Place a mating piece under a stop block. worked like a champ.
assembling the top box
same process as above for the splines
Figuring out the trunk handle and hasp hardware.
Added some feet to the top box as the hasp was going to poke down below the bottom of the top box and I didn't want it to mar a table top.
It was also at this point that I realized how much I hated how tall the top box was. Makes the box look really ungainly and out of proportion.
found it interesting that the two boxes are very close in size, but because of the feet cutouts in the bottom box it looks alot shorter than the top.
Cut the top couple of inches off. The big model will just have to ride on top like a hood ornament.
Routed out grooves so the lid would fit tightly on the top box. Also routed out a place in the lid to place the mini tray.
Made quite a mess.
woohoo, it fits time for some more stain and lacquer!