Experimenting With Kumiko
I've been wanting to try this for about 2 years now, so I finally jumped in and made my first Asa-no-ha pattern kumiko. It's really fun and I would recommend it
The tools and jigs. I followed instructions from Mike Peckovich's article in the Feb 2017 issue of FWW magazine along with some instructions from Des King's youtube and Instagram.
Basswood was the wood of choice. I wanted something light in color that was dense and had no grain pattern at all. Basswood fit the bill very well. Although it is soft, it takes fine details nicely. Something a bit harder would have been easier to work with though.
I planed the basswood to 6mm in thickness after resawing it, then I cut it into 12mm strips. Here I have the frame laid out. This has a 60mm pitch (60mm between the lines). I laid out the first master kumiko, clamped them all together then transferred the layout to the rest
Then I laid out the other side of the joint using the same process
This is a cutting jig based on one Des King uses. I gang up the kumiko and snug them up to the front fence. Then I bring up the rear fence and screw it into place - being careful to avoid placing screws where i need to saw.
Using a fine toothed crosscut dozuki, I cross cut all of the pieces at once. I am going to be getting a finer saw for this soon, but this one did okay.
I then chiseled out the waste with the pieces still secured in the cutting jig
Before gluing up the frame, I used my 45 degree jig and my small kanna to add a chamfer to the ends since they will be proud
I whittled down a scrap that I used to apply the glue. These are super tight so a ton of glue isn't needed.
Good fit, nice and square
After the glue dried, I cut and installed the diagonal pieces. For these I cut them long then planed the ends in the 45 degree jig (both sides) until they fit perfectly
I didn't get too involved taking pics there because this was complicated. each hinge piece is beveled 22.5 degrees on each side for one end. On the other end, the bevel is 67.5 degrees for 1/3rd of the thickness, then 67.5 degrees for 2/3rd of the thickness for the other face. When jointed together, the tiny pieces in the corner lock them in place. This took a ton of trial and error and I'm glad I cut extra.
Done! looks okay for my first shot. Now for the box so I can inset this in the lid