Walnut Charcuterie Boards
Three new walnut Charcuterie boards I made for gifts. The one with the butterfly is for my wife, and the other two are for friends. The piece I used for my wife's had a nasty knot that was separating form the rest of the board. I didn't want to just chuck it, so I tried my first attempt at epoxy and threw in my first butterfly for good measure. All the boards are finished with Odie's Oil.
Some glory shots. I'm really happy with how it turned out
Asymmetrical edge done by hand with the spokeshave
This is where I started. Laying out the designs
I didn't bother to lay anything out on this board at this stage because I didn't know if I would ruin it. I used West System Epoxy and tinted it with dark walnut TransTint
Card scraper worked really well
light pass with my plane
I used a heat gun to try and get the bubbles out, but I was unsuccessful on getting the all out. Medium Thick Starbond to the rescue
Trying to figure out butterfly size and shape. The butterfly is quartersawn sycamore
Used a forstner bit to remove most of the material
5 minute epoxy to glue it in
Yep, I'll take it
Time to design
Straight off the bandsaw. Learn to ride the back of the blade on curves. It makes things so much easier. Forstner bit to remove the middle
Time to start rounding things off
I love spokeshaves
This one gets a smaller hole and so I decided to do it by hand
I'm bad with my router and get tear out. Again, fixed it and I think it adds a little something to it.
These two before finish
I sanded to 600 grit, and then applied Odie's Oil. Buffed off an hour later. I highly recommend Odie's Oil. It's food safe and VOC free.