First Project: Mallet
Joiner's mallet made from maple with red oak handle. Lots of firsts for me: glue-up, chiseling, finishing, mitered cuts at the table saw, etc., all done with fairly limited tools.
Based on plans from: https://www.wwgoa.com/article/build-better-joiners-mallet-domed-head-provides-forgiving-strike-surface/
Raw materials: 4" maple and 2" red oak from the big box store.
Skipped a few steps, but part two of the initial glue-up, leaving space for the handle tenon.
Finishing the lamination. I suddenly understand what they say about having too many clamps. I did not expect the glue to be so slippery, and ended up with rather uneven edges.
The shoulder/cheek for the handle tenon were done by nibbling at it with the table saw. But I had no good way to cut the slots in the tenon. I ended up doing a "stopped rip" with the table saw then clearing out the rest (next pic) with a ~6tpi handsaw. I then attempted to shape the handle with chisels, metal files, and sandpaper (no rasp!).
With the head and handle done, I got my wedges ready: the off-cuts from the mitered cut on the mallet head. The grain direction and angle is all wrong, but without a tenoning jig, I couldn't think of another safe way to cut them, so I just went with what I had.
Gluing the wedges into the handle.
One was a little narrow, and the other had a bit of tearout, but overall not too bad!
The edges of the head were rounded over slightly, and the whole thing was sanded to 220.
Finished with a single coat of Danish Oil. Probably should have done another, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out!
That's a nice looking mallet! Thanks for sharing.