Box Joint Mallets
I wanted to try my hand at a more complicated project than I am used to. I am starting to get more serious about the hobby and finally have space to do it in. So I thought up this design so that I could try making box joints for the first time. I also needed a mallet. One of the box joint ones (the larger one) is for my friend that helped me pick up some lumber in his truck. I am quite happy with them, though I know they aren't perfect. I think my friend will enjoy it as well.
Edit: One thing that I didn't document, is that I used copper ball bearings in about half of them. I used them in varying amounts to test what I liked and how hefty each one would be. The dead blow mallets were quite nice, but I liked making both, one for finesse and one for heft.
Edit 2: I was learning a lot about what makes the mallet better or worse structurally, as well as wanting to play around with different designs. I really learned a lot about woodworking with this project. Likewise, I was having quite a bit of fun making these and they seem to be decent presents for people that like to tinker in the shop, so I kept going and made a gob of them.