First End Grain Cutting Board
This was my first attempt at an end grain cutting board. A friend gave me some tigerwood offcuts from his deck that he had sitting in his garage for a while, so I picked up some walnut shorts and started playing around.
Finished picture first. Just wiped on mineral oil, letting it soak in.
The tigerwood I got from my friend had some sort of finish pre-applied, so I ran it through the jointer and planer to clean it up. This shows two different pieces, the top is cleaned up.
Comparison of the end grain, again the top is the cleaned up board
I decided to try to make a fun pattern with the tigerwood and walnut. I got some walnut shorts as the tigerwood cutoffs were also short. I did two of these glue ups to get enough material for the one cutting board. This was about 18" long
I cleaned the boards up quickly by running it through the planer, taking off just enough to clean things up.
I used a miter gauge to push the glued up panel on the table saw. Not pictured is I used a scrap piece of wood between the panel and the miter gauge that was taller than the blade to help push the cut side all the way through the blade. Next time I might experiment with using a scrap to pop out from the fence a bit, or maybe I will finally have made a sled for my table saw.
Strips cut and flipped every other direction. Because I had two glue ups, some of the wood was colored slightly different. To make it look less weird, I used one panel glue up for one direction, and the other was my "flipped" direction. I think I need to take the time to tune up my table saw and or mess with my fence adjustments. My blade seems to cut just fine, but I was getting some burn marks. Need to investigate that.
**I couldn't resist wiping some mineral spirits on the board after sanding it down, hence the color here.** After glue up I ran the board through my planer to clean it up (the horror!). I know, there is a lot of controversy out there on doing this. Lots of people say don't do it ever, no matter what, lots say no issues. I have a really nice helical head stationary planer which has anti kickback knives. After doing lots of reading I decided to give it a try, as almost all the horror stories involved smaller bench top planers which don't have kickback knives, or the weight and size of my almost 1000lb planer. Everything went very smooth, except I got chip out on the back side of the board. I ended up just cutting off the last row so to speak. I have read to add sacrificial rails which I will try next time to the front and back (front to help with kickback, back to help with chip out).
Anyway, I sanded this from 60 -> 220, spending most of my time at 60. I see why a drum sander would make this process MUCH faster.
After sanding I used a small round over bit on the top and bottom of the board, then had to sand because my small round over bit is cheap and should be replaced with a nicer one that wont leave burn marks.
FIrst bit of finish, in this case mineral oil. My favorite part of most projects is the first coat of finish, seeing the wood really come to life.
Fully coated, letting it soak in
A final shot of soaking in. I will give it another coating or two of oil before bringing it in the house.
Finished board with two coats of oil and now dry and ready to use!