Show off Your Handcrafted Projects. It's Free! Start Sharing

Beer And Goblet Holder - Groomsman Gifts

author-gravatar joshcraigrainey May 23, 2018

I made these three beer and goblet holders for my 3 groomsmen.  I wanted the gift to be personal, so I added some special touches to the gift.  The lumber is from downed tree that I milled from near the college we met each other at.  This is the first time I have made a project from lumber that I milled myself on the band saw, and has been quite some time in the making.  The main chunk of oak is from the downed tree, the walnut is a log my dad was going to burn, the maple is from a friends house that they cut down in the town I now live in, and the padauk is... just bought by me from a hardwood store, but looked great.  There is some cheesy sentiment to this.

Walnut from my parent's home represents the time before I met them.

The Maple from my current town represents the time after we moved apart.

The Padauk is something new and unknown, like the future.

The Oak is the piece that binds all that together, and that is the time spent with my closest friends and now groomsmen.

Oh... and the beer is from one of our favorite college bars.

The design was something I was inspired by David Picciuto (from Make Something, back when he was going by the name Drunken Woodworker).  Mostly band sawing and sanding, fairly easy build but pretty cool.

You can see a little of the form of the log after it was milled.  The Oak and the Walnut was already very dry when I milled it.  The Maple was green and took ~9 months to dry out after cutting it to 4/4.

Sizing.

Gluing.

Trimming.

Planing... Which was difficult.  I need practice at sharpening.  I also need to buy a jointer and planer if I am going to mill my own stuff.

Basic template designed off of David Picciuto's design.  But honestly it was just eyeballed and created in Paint.

Cutting to shape.

How cool is this sawdust :)

Drilling, routing, and sanding starts here.  I also filled in some gaps with a little glue and sawdust mixed together.

I had my soon-to-be-wife burn their initials in.

Applied Danish oil in three coats and sanded in between.

Finished product!

6 comments

They look awesome! Great wood combinations too. Thanks for sharing!

@Sean  said:

They look awesome! Great wood combinations too. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Sean!  Hey, this is probably a weird place to ask this but I wasn't sure how else to contact you.  I just watched your shop tour video on Youtube and you spoke quite a bit about the combo jointer/planer.  I have a similar (slightly smaller) workshop as you.  Despite the downsides you spoke about in the video, are you happy with it?  Is it worth the space saving?  I've heard conflicting messages about it.

It boils down to 2 questions. Do you have enough room for two machines? If not, how much money are you wanting to spend? Can you buy a better machine than the Jet? Absolutely. The Felder combo machine is probably an overall better machine than the Jet, although I've not used one. Don't get me wrong, i've not had 1 mechanical issue with the Jet in the few years i've had it. The only tedious task is aligning the beds. Once they are set, I've not had them move on me. If you can afford it, buy the helical head unit over the straight knives. I HATE setting new knives on the machine (in fact, I did that a few days ago and it took 2 hours). 

Like I mentioned, the Jet machine has been a workhorse. Not a single mechanical issue and it works great. Can you buy a better quality machine? Probably, but you are going to pay double the price.

@joshcraigrainey  said:
@Sean  said:

They look awesome! Great wood combinations too. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Sean!  Hey, this is probably a weird place to ask this but I wasn't sure how else to contact you.  I just watched your shop tour video on Youtube and you spoke quite a bit about the combo jointer/planer.  I have a similar (slightly smaller) workshop as you.  Despite the downsides you spoke about in the video, are you happy with it?  Is it worth the space saving?  I've heard conflicting messages about it.

@Sean  said:

It boils down to 2 questions. Do you have enough room for two machines? If not, how much money are you wanting to spend? Can you buy a better machine than the Jet? Absolutely. The Felder combo machine is probably an overall better machine than the Jet, although I've not used one. Don't get me wrong, i've not had 1 mechanical issue with the Jet in the few years i've had it. The only tedious task is aligning the beds. Once they are set, I've not had them move on me. If you can afford it, buy the helical head unit over the straight knives. I HATE setting new knives on the machine (in fact, I did that a few days ago and it took 2 hours). 

Like I mentioned, the Jet machine has been a workhorse. Not a single mechanical issue and it works great. Can you buy a better quality machine? Probably, but you are going to pay double the price.

@joshcraigrainey  said:
@Sean  said:

They look awesome! Great wood combinations too. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Sean!  Hey, this is probably a weird place to ask this but I wasn't sure how else to contact you.  I just watched your shop tour video on Youtube and you spoke quite a bit about the combo jointer/planer.  I have a similar (slightly smaller) workshop as you.  Despite the downsides you spoke about in the video, are you happy with it?  Is it worth the space saving?  I've heard conflicting messages about it.

Thanks Sean!  Right after I left this I saw you posted a Q and A and covered this question. I appreciate the help on both fronts.   So far I've only looked at grizzly and jet but I'll see what the Felder sticker shock is like. 

Thanks for helping a novice like me!  Really appreciate the community you're building. 

You're welcome! I appreciate you for taking the time to share here on SimpleCove! Thanks

@joshcraigrainey  said:

Thanks Sean!  Right after I left this I saw you posted a Q and A and covered this question. I appreciate the help on both fronts.   So far I've only looked at grizzly and jet but I'll see what the Felder sticker shock is like. 

Thanks for helping a novice like me!  Really appreciate the community you're building. 

You need to be signed in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join now

3