Doctor Who Themed Keepsake Box.
This was my gift for the Reddit Secret Santa exchange. It could be that I'm just cheap, but I honestly prefer to make gifts for people instead of buying items. Especially so in situations like this where I don't know the person. I feel like it's a more meaningful gift coming from a complete stranger, or from a friend.
I took the rough stock and got a feel of the overall dimensions of the box. I was constrained by the dimensions of a Medium Flat Rate Box, so this looks like what I have to work with.
Missed some shots with the miter sled. Things went pretty normal, but one corner is a little janky. I was short on time, so I didn't re-cut the miter. In the future I plan on doing this with a 45 degree shooting board.
Cut grooves for the plywood bottom.
Test fit, looks good. This is when I noticed that one of the corners had a small gap in it.
I'm going to be cutting the lid out of the box, so I took this photo to note how far down I had to cut the top off for a decent look. That's a big plus of documenting builds, I can always look back and check dimensions and whatnot very easily.
Time to saw out the decorative logo. I used to spray adhere the pattern right onto the wood, but now I've found it's much easier to put down a layer of blue tape and put the pattern on that. Makes cleaning it off much easier. Mike Pekovich would be proud.
Cutting done. I honestly didn't like how it turned out, but time is of the essence people, so it will have to do.
My trick to get things laid out correctly. Put the pieces over the printed logo then use either a strip or a panel of blue tape to lay on top and lift the pieces. Everything stays in place and I can put the whole logo down at one time.
This is when the repercussions of rushing a build come in. I was trying to get the top panel finessed into the groove, but was a little too rough trying to get it out. I cracked the side right in the weak point of the wall. As you can see I had to clamp that side down after working in a little liquid hide glue in with a small brush. Other than this little incident it went without issue.
I used the table saw to cut the lid off. I made it so the height was literally a hair short of the wall thickness. It held together during the cut but easily pulled apart when it was all done.
Now I magically have a lid and a base! Just a little cleanup of the cut is needed.
Router plane is essential to getting a even, clean bottom to the hinge mortises.
Near perfect fit on these hinges. It helps to use high quality hardware like Brusso.
I find this method the best for hinges. Knife in the perimeter, accentuate with a chisel, then remove the waste with the chisel. After this point I come in with the router plane to get a clean, even bottom.
I secured the lid with masking tape and transferred the hinge locations with a marking knife. Repeat the same process above.
This is actually a really important step: cutting the threads for the brass screws. A lot of people just try and screw in the brass screws for hinges, but you often shear the screws off because of the weak brass. Brusso includes a steel screw so you can use it to cut the threads in each hole before you drive in the final brass screw. It's the little things.
Test fit on the hinges looks good. The lid was slightly misaligned to the left, but I was able to smooth things flush on all sides afterwards.
Another oops. I took the mortises slightly too deep trying to compensate for the slight gap that brusso puts between the leaves of the hinge, so the lid was hanging open. I solved this by taking some walnut shavings and using them as shims to make up the depth I needed to bring the back flush.
Some glamor shots. Thanks Instagram for the unnecessary filtering going on.
That is a beautiful box. I love the scroll work, too. Thanks for sharing, Scott!